If you are considering undergoing lock rekeying, this guide is just for you. It looks at lock rekeying and provides you with all the information you need to make that final decision. Lock rekeying is often referred to as “changing of locks”. It is a process where the locksmith changes the key combination and provides you with a new combination. Thus, only a new key would be able to open it. It is advised to rekey your lock every few years. But, there are certain instances when it becomes necessary to rekey the lock. These are mentioned below.
- When the key has been in hands of your housekeeper or a construction team.
- When you have moved into a new building.
- When you break up with your partner or a roommate moves out.
- When other people have had access to the key.
- When you lose the key.
Generally, it is best to consider lock rekeying whenever the keys have been with someone else or lost. Keep in mind that it should only take about half an hour or less for a professional locksmith to do the Lock rekeying. You can request to get as many duplicates of the key as you desire. Essentially, the more people that have had access to the key, the more important it is for you to hire a rekeying service provider.
Advantages of Lock Rekeying
Although there are many benefits of replacing the lock, in most situations, lock rekeying is the better option. The following advantages of lock rekeying will make you realize why it is just what you need.
- Lock rekeying is a lot cheaper as compared to replacing the lock. Rather than having to purchase a new lock to replace the existing one, it is a lot easier to have a few pins replaced.
- You end up getting to keep the existing lock. Not only is keeping the current lock beneficial but it is also a more cost-effective option. It is also a better option since the existing lock would match with the other locks in the building. When you consider replacing a lock, there is always a risk that there might not be a suitable replacement that matches the style you desire.
- It is up to you how you want to configure the lock. You could even request the locksmith to rekey all the locks in the building so that you can use a single key to access every room. Thus, lock rekeying offers the ultimate convenience.
Although you might think of rekeying as simply changing of the locks, it is much more than that. Lock rekeying allows you to continue using the same lock as only the code or pin would be changed. Therefore, everyone in the building would still have access to the building. Make sure to choose a reputable rekeying service. A professional locksmith will be able to rekey your locks in no time. Hence, you should always opt for a reliable professional.